Convicted drug dealer withdraws €60,000 personal injury claim

A CONVICTED drug dealer who previously faced death threats, withdrew a personal injury claim of up to €60,000 this week on the morning it was due to start.

Christopher Kelly (37), of Greenfort Gardens, Clondalkin, Dublin, had sought compensation from South Dublin County Council and Irish Water after saying he was injured when he tripped over an open shore where a water meter water was to be installed while he was away. jogging in Clondalkin in August 2015.

Kelly, who had previously had an explosive thrown from the window of his house and had been warned by Gardaí of a credible threat to his life, arrived at Dublin Circuit Civil Court on Friday morning for his case, whose court heard it would take an hour.

However, Kelly, who was also badly injured in a machete attack six years ago, decided to pull the case and walk away with nothing just before the case started.

Kelly’s attorneys said the case was settled and no fees were sought by either party.

Judge Gerard Griffin then struck out the case.

Kelly had only been released from prison after serving an eight-year sentence for drug trafficking when he claimed he was injured in the fall in August 2015.

He said he was jogging when he tripped over an open drain where a water meter was to be installed, but it couldn’t have been due to protests against water meters in the area at the ‘era.

Earlier a court heard how Kelly was caught with nearly €50,000 worth of cocaine, heroin and cannabis in three separate gardaí raids in 2007 and 2008 and faced death threats for the seizures .

Kelly possessed and packaged drugs for a West Dublin organized crime gang and was later threatened by the same gang after being arrested.

Gardaí had Kelly under surveillance before raiding his home on November 21, 2007, where they found cocaine, heroin, cannabis and scales.

He had the cocaine divided into batches in bags.

The total value of this transport was just under €4,000.

Kelly told gardaí he was holding the cocaine to “put it in a bag” and “move on” in an attempt to partially pay off a drug debt he had accrued with a local gang.

He didn’t tell Gardaí who he was working with because he was afraid of them.

After this arrest, an explosive device was thrown at the widow from her home but he was not injured. A number of men also called his home threatening him around the same time.

Although he had been caught with drugs before, Kelly continued his involvement in the drug trade and gardai made a second raid on his home on January 11, 2008, after receiving confidential information and finding a bag of crack , three bags of heroin and digital scales. .

They also found a quantity of cocaine in a tin can, which he threw from a bedroom window into a neighbor’s garden when the raid was in progress.

The drug was valued at just under €7,000.

He pleaded guilty to drug possession and at that time Gardaí warned him that they

had credible information that his life was in danger.

Two weeks later he was arrested for a third time after leaving a house in Harelawn Park. Gardaí had him under surveillance and watched him retrieve a package from the undergrowth in a public park earlier today and bring it to Harelawn’s house.

Gardaí decided to arrest him and he returned to the house and tried to escape through the back garden. Gardaí chased after him before he stopped and shouted, “Stop, I’m going to give up.”

Three bags of heroin worth just under €37,000 were seized in the incident.

During his court hearing, his lawyer said Kelly had a serious drug addiction that had progressed from cannabis to cocaine and that he was in a “debt cycle”.

Gardaí told the hearing he received a text message which implied he would be “probably shot” by the gang.

The court also heard he had taken out a €15,000 loan from his family and had agreed to waive his allowance in a bid to clear his debt.

His troubles continued after his release from prison and he was seriously injured in a machete attack in late May 2016.

He also led gardaí in a high-speed car chase in Kildare on Halloween in 2018.

He was approaching a Garda checkpoint in Allenwood at 12.40pm that day, but took off at high speed in an Audi S3.

Gardaí reached a speed of 160 km/h trying to chase him but Kelly was going faster and they were unable to follow him.

Gardaí then located the car near Kilmeague.

When Kelly appeared in Naas District Court in 2019, his attorney said the defendant claimed he panicked at the checkpoint because his friend was smoking a joint in the car. He was sentenced to six months in prison for dangerous driving and banned from driving for six months.

The court heard Kelly had 27 prior convictions.

Previous In-Depth Analysis of Payday Loan Services Market Including Key Players Wonga, TitleMax, DFC Global Corp – Designer Women
Next Orangemen set to march to mark July 12 in Northern Ireland